Our Mother of Perpetual Help Catholic School was established by the request of parents and parishioners who wished to provide a quality Catholic education for the children of three parishes located in Ephrata, Lititz, and New Holland, Pennsylvania. Following a building campaign, the school was built in 1956. The school opened its doors in September of 1957 under the direction of the Bernardine Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis. Traditions of the Catholic faith and educational excellence became the cornerstone, as 126 students were welcomed in grades 1-6.
OMPH Continues to Grow
By the middle of the 1960’s, enrollment had doubled attesting to the parents’ support for Catholic education and the success of the school. As additional classroom space was needed to open a seventh and eighth grade, the cafeteria area of the building was converted into two classrooms and a library. The instructional program was updated and enhanced throughout these years to provide current programs of the day.
During the 1970’s, a parish center complex was built adjacent to the school. The addition of a new library, a classroom, and a gym/cafeteria provided much-needed space and allowed the school to again expand its educational offerings. Religious programs continued to serve as the foundation of all instruction as “Gospel values” were incorporated into all areas of the curriculum.
Throughout the 1980’s, the school continued its tradition of excellence. Recognizing the impact of technology on education, the school introduced its first computer program. As in the past, the faith community flourished. Focus was placed on integrating Christian values and morals in each curriculum area.
The school saw remarkable growth throughout the 1990’s. The opening of the first Kindergarten program in 1990 established the foundation of an Early Education Program that expanded to include a preschool program for children three and four years of age. The disastrous collapse of the parish center in 1994 placed a space limitation on the school, creating additional challenges. Once again, the parents and parishioners, strong in their commitment to Catholic education, laid the foundation for expansion.
With the opening of the new parish center complex in September 1995, the school emerged even more capable of meeting the needs of its increasing student body. By this time in the life of the school, the enrollment reached 335 students, an all-time high. Additional classrooms, a fully equipped computer room, a computerized library center, and a new gym/cafeteria provided the setting for an enhanced academic program.
New programs have been introduced including the opportunity for seventh and eighth-grade students to participate in the MathCounts program. Quiz Bowl, chess, Destination Imagination,a variety of clubs and CYO sports are also offered to our students.
In 2004, Our Mother of Perpetual Help School was accredited by the Middle States Commissions on Elementary and Secondary Schools. Under the direction of dedicated lay faculty, OMPH has continued the tradition of excellence in the Catholic school system. Religious instruction and opportunities for working hand-in-hand with parents and parishioners are the most important components that enable the school to continue to care for God’s most precious gift. . . His children.